Sunday, March 11, 2012

Hereafter by Tara Hudson

Amelia can't remember much about her life, that is the life she had before she died. What she is hauntingly reminded of is how she died. More specifically how she drowned. Now she is in the water watching a boy drown just like she did. She pulls trying to save him. Only making her more aware that she is dead, that she cannot help the living. She knows that this mystery boy is in trouble when she can start to hear his heartbeat. Amelia screams and beats on his chest trying to save him, but it's useless. Suddenly he opens his eyes. Amelia wonders if he can see her. He kicks himself toward the surface, fighting for his life. When he reaches the surface someone screams his name. Josh, is now coughing and struggling to swim to the surface. Josh is pulled from the water, is checked for signs of life. Faces of the on looks are in varied stages. Paramedics take him to the ambulance, Amelia watches feeling protective over "her boy". Amelia says, "Josh." Josh says, "Call me Joshua." Then the ambulance closes shut. At that moment Amelia knows things will never be the same... Josh can see her, he can see and speak to the dead.

This is one of the hardest reviews I have written to date. I actually hated reading this book. But not because the writing was bad, it's NOT. But because it was so good, I felt claustrophobic when reading the drowning scenes. I felt like I was the one drowning. And Amelia drowns over and over. So for me I couldn't read it in large doses. This book took me weeks to read due to this. I will not read the rest of the books in the series because of this. If you are not prone to claustrophobia then you just might love this book.

Recommended for 15 and up. Just because the descriptive nature of the drowning.

No comments:

Post a Comment